Monday, February 21, 2011

Silence

How often recently I have ignored the chance to sit in silence. This semester has been full of more free time than most others, but as a result I have found I fill the time with many things. All of them are good; I spend time with friends, I plan meetings with people I haven't seen in a long time, and I even do readings for class :D But I have not been giving much time for silence. I have not spent much time reflecting on this semester, and more importantly my time in college. How quickly the time has passed. How old I feel. I realized today that I am entering a strange time of life where I am no longer a student (in the sense of going to school), and I am not a "real" adult in the working world. Yet I do not feel frightened or stressed by this. God has some plan for me, and while I may not know what it is, I am sure it is great. I need to find time for silence though, for prayer, for conversation with God. Even amid the noise of everyday life, silence is possible. I think I have been finding that silence easy, but I have been avoiding true silence, alone with myself. In some sense, I have been ignoring an old dear friend, a friend who knows my entire life thus far, and will be with me for the rest of my life. Why do I forget the silence with myself? Why do I avoid awesome opportunities to get to know my own desires better? Silence is certainly not easy, but it can offer so much. I just need to be open to those precious moments.

1 comment:

  1. Allowing ourselves time to be silent, inactive, calm is very difficult. We are wired to be doing something, life can be hectic. You're right, we need to now and then pause, maybe just 15 minutes as a start, and let everything else go on without our participation. Like letting the batteries recharge.

    ReplyDelete