Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Mouthpiece of God

Yesterday I met a man on the streets of the Loop. He asked me for money, and I said I couldn't help him. Naturally through God's sense of humor he proceeded to help me. We began to talk, at first about the weather, and when a breeze began to blow I mentioned that it didn't get much better than feeling the wind. He responded that was the truth and the gave me a history lesson about Abraham being the father of all nations. The man explained how present God is in the world, and how God never leaves our side. He described how many of the reasons for why people say God doesn't love others are never given by God in the Bible. What stuck with me most was the man's description of the name Jesus. He said that JesUS came here for US. Simple, right? I realize that it works out because of the English language, but it's funny isn't it? I had never once thought to connect the US in JesUS with the US meaning everyone. This summer has offered many opportunities for growth in my faith, and yet I've been feeling like I haven't grown all that much. The man reminded that God is with me always, that Jesus came here for me and you, for us. Funny how God can use even complete strangers to offer simple reminders. What is important is to listen. I almost didn't listen yesterday. What I would have missed if I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment